Friday, November 1

NaNoWriMo Day One

After weeks of casual research and drafts of notes, I started my novel experiment today. To get 50,000 words in 30 days, I figured I'd need to hit roughly 1,700 words a day. That's what I had in mind as I wrote. When I was done with my first pass at the first chapter, I had right under 3,000.

It took some doing to get started, and that was after I found the right "camera angle" for the first scene. The first few paragraphs were slow to form, and I moved some sentences around. My initial first sentence moved to the third paragraph, and that felt liberating. it gave me a style direction to follow. I probably overdid the style, but it created sentence fragments, and I realized at the conclusion of the first pass that I could flesh those out and probably add 15% more words to my daily count.

That's a good start, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment