Tuesday, April 10

Flash Commission

That's two CW series commissions in a row, and this one was a group shot of the current Flashes. Here's how I put it together.

Because we have four figures in a letter-sized space, I had to make sure they were large enough to be recognizable without too many body parts bleeding off the page.


I eventually traded Jay Garrick's visible foot for Kid Flash's disappearing hand. I also changed the position of movie Flash's hands.



I didn't fill in the heavy black areas until after the colors. Even with a day's worth of drying, alcohol markers can pick up and smear that ink. Also a layer of color atop blacks can dilute the intensity, making them gray. I needed them to pop with this much red on multiple costumes. I needed them to be distinct fields. Ultimately, I cheated on that by adding a thick white border around Barry Allen Flash after setting down the colors and inks.


I used a correction ink pen for that border and Movie Flash's costume wires.

I don't use markers a lot, but this one came out OK. I shaded the red areas by first coloring with gray markers. I only had so many different shades of red to use. The Jay Garrick Flash's shaded reds turned purple (!) so I went over his costume again with another red marker. His deep-red belt is actually a shade of brown.

You can order your own commission here (shipping included in each size/color price).


Sizes
4 characters max.


No comments:

Post a Comment